Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Halloween Fun

We have had so many serious activities lately that we thought a fun Halloween project would be fun! In addition, the girls wanted to just talk and play....so this activity really allowed the girls to spend time doing that but also complete the activity.  I based the activity around 4 main activities:

The Halloween Name Game
When the girls arrived, I pinned fun Halloween characters on their backs. The girls then had to go around asking people yes/no questions to try and figure out who they were. They loved this.

Jack-o-Lantern Lanterns craft
 
For this craft, you need jam canning jars, orange tissue paper, printed jack-o-lantern face, modge podge, finishing spray, orange/black ribbon, and candles.

1. Brush modge podge over surface of jar.  Tear tissue paper into pieces and place on wet modge podge (the thinner the layer the better.) Brush another layer of modge podge over tissue paper. Add face, brush over modge podge. Let dry.
2. When thoroughly dry, spray with finishing spray.  Trim top of jar with ribbon. (Do this before dry or you will need additional ribbon. Place candle in jar. Done.


Cookie decorating
The girls decorated pre-made pumpkin cookies with candy and frosting.

Halloween Tales  
I let the girls pick from a bag lines that would help them write a scary paragraph or two. The handed these in and then I strung the paragraphs into a single story which I made a copy for each of the girls that I gave to them the next Sunday.

Here are a few of the story starters:

As I carefully entered the haunted house, the door shut behind me and...
It was a cold Halloween night when...
The black cat started to hiss when...
The large cauldron of purple liquid started to boil when...
The mad scientist was creating a new monster that...
Something in the closet was making a strange noise so I opened the door and...
On October 31st, I was carving a pumpkin when...
The Halloween pumpkin slowly transformed into...


No comments: